21 quick ways to market your salon or spa this Christmas
Are you guilty of neglecting your biggest Christmas marketing asset?
Your salon or spa.
Yes that’s right.
In this blog post I’m sharing my ideas on making the most of this unsung Christmas marketing hero.
Your festive checklist for a booming spa or salon this December
Don’t haul out last year’s decorations, posters, and leaflets in a flat panic with just weeks to go.
This year get ahead of the game.
And your competitors.
Setting the festive scene in your hair or beauty salon is central to a successful Christmas marketing campaign. Put an hour aside now to run through this Christmas salon marketing checklist, make some calls and feel smug later.
And if you’re looking for more seasonal ideas download my free e-Guide to marketing your salon or spa at Christmas here…
Turn your salon reception into a massive Christmas advertisement
- Advertise your salon Christmas promotions and festive opening hours on your answering machine from now onwards. It’s free marketing.
- Encourage hair and beauty clients to take salon selfies. Have a blank picture frame on the wall which clients can pose in front of. Add some Christmas spirit with traditional holly, ribbons and baubles, or if your salon has a contemporary feel, echo this styling in the decoration. An eye-catching salon selfie is much more likely to get posted on Facebook and so spread your marketing message. (For more Christmas ideas on salon Facebook read this blog post.)
- Replace the standard print-out on your till receipts with your festive specials, offers and opening hours. Most salon software packages do this – just call their helpdesk.
- Encourage online reviews in this your busiest period. Word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to attract new clients and those glowing online reviews will help reduce salon downtime come January. Have strut cards and posters printed displaying your clients’ raving reviews then scatter them around your spa or salon. Remember to include a call to action CTA) for clients to post their own reviews. Struggling to persuade clients to review your business? You’ll find my no-nonsense ideas here.
- Pinch a marketing tip from the supermarkets. Place a basket of inexpensive stocking fillers on your reception desk to tempt last-minute purchases. Drop a heavy hint with a clear label, “ideal stocking-fillers”.
- Highlight hair and beauty specials, retail offers and New Year re-booking incentives with show-cards on your reception desk. Or buy some seasonal themed picture frames to match your decorations and salon brand and pop promotional graphics into them.
Create one huge festive promotion in your spa or salon
Aim to turn into your interior into one attention-grabbing Christmas promotion for your hair and beauty services and retail.
- Partnering with other local businesses is an effective and easy-on-the-pocket way to market your salon business. Decide if you’re throwing a seasonal client event now to give yourself sufficient time to approach local businesses and organise your promotional campaign. Always try to link up with businesses which target a similar audience to your salon or spa. I look at how to partner successfully in this blog post.
- Decide on this year’s festive theme. Quiz your design agency or printer on ideas to make your decorations more appealing and visual. Hanging graphics, posters and banner stands can all be highly personalised if you start early enough (use your own #hashtags to reflect your social marketing messages). Don’t just stick to manufacturers’ decorations. Instead, add bespoke marketing materials and push your hair and beauty brand. Above all, make it dazzling and fun.
- Intend to open on Sundays during the run-up to Christmas? Think about creating a more leisurely atmosphere where clients can relax and read the papers as they would in a cafe or at home. Change the music tempo, the drinks menu and perhaps offer light brunch for a chilled lazy-bones Sunday morning.
- Plan your Christmas music early. Clients soon tire of a handful of festive favourites on an endless loop.
- Christmas is all about giving. Team up with your hair and beauty suppliers and local businesses for a brilliant raffle for your favourite charity. Don’t forget to promote it online, in your e-news and on social too.
- Gift Cards are an undervalued marketing tool for hair and beauty businesses. Looking for some ideas to make your gift vouchers fly off the shelf? Try these.
- Ring the changes with your Christmas drinks menu. Don’t just serve the old stand-bys of mulled wine or festive fizz, try some celebratory fun cocktails. You’ll find Jamie Oliver’s Christmas cocktails here if you’re after some seasonal inspiration.
- If you have TV/video screens in your hair salon use these to promote re-booking offers for New Year and holiday specials throughout the next few months. Pick up the phone to your graphic team now.
- Look for opportunities to advertise your seasonal offers – both retail and services – throughout your salon. Buy frames or display boards for your reception, beauty treatment rooms, hair styling stations, nail bars and washrooms.
- Serving Christmas cupcakes, festive chocolates or mini mince pies throughout December? Go on an urban foraging trip to discover some easy, yet different, alternatives to those boring pre-packed biscuits so many salons seem to dish up with their coffee.
Get your hair or beauty business seen by Christmas shoppers
The streets outside your salon will be heaving come December. Act now to get your business noticed and encourage passers-by to pop in hunting for hair and beauty gifts.
- Transforming your shop windows into an eye-catching advertisement takes planning. If you’ve a prominent frontage onto a main shopping street then why not splash out on a professional window-dresser? Remember your windows are free, highly visible advertising. Just think how much a billboard in central town would cost you at this time of year.
- Consider lighting your salon windows longer at night, especially if you’re on a busy street with plenty of late-night foot fall.
- And don’t forget to advertise your seasonal hair and beauty specials and hours on your A-board. Order those graphics early, and then relax.
- Decorate the exterior of your salon or spa to get noticed. Add Christmas trees in pots, lights, or a gorgeous over-the-top wreath.
- Looking for more inspiration? Check out the Christmassy windows and exteriors of the glitzy city stores such as Selfridges and Harrods. It’s easy to do online. Pinterest is full of bright ideas for great Christmas styling too.
Looking for more ideas on promoting your spa or salon this December? Download my free 38 page Christmas salon marketing e-Guide brimming with festive planning, ideas and advice.